Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mounted ECW Units Selected

I have made another slight change in my prospective ECW foot units . . . but that will be the subject of another post.

Today I will focus on the mounted units that I hope eventually to field for my English Civil War project.

At left you can see the ten "Horse" units and two "Dragoon" units that I've selected.

The horse units are mostly historically correct although two or three are either conjectural or were "unknown" and assigned to existing commanders.

As with my foot units it will take a long time before all are painted and ready for the table top . . . but one does need a plan, doesn't one?

-- Jeff

4 comments:

A J said...

One of my favorite ECW cavalry regiments is Hazelrig's 'Lobsters,' the cuirassiers. A real throwback to an earlier age, but they look good on the tabletop.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Well, AJ, since I'm building the Royalists it really wouldn't be right for me to have Hesilrigg's Lobsters, would it?

-- Jeff

Robert Herrick said...

The flag for Sir Horatio Cary's unit is his FIRST regiment of Horse. The colonelcy passed to the Earl of Cleveland in 1644, and that's how they formed up in the King's Oxford Army after it merged with the defeated remnants of Hopton's Army. The green flags with that motto form Sir Horatio Cary's second regiment of horse, which was part of the Royal Army after Naseby, as far as I can tell. Yes, I did some digging.

Should you decide to raise an Army for Parliament, then Waller's Army: The Regiments of Sir William Waller's Southern Association are the perfect source for cavalry cornets.

John Y said...

I'm enjoying following along with your research. I know next to nothing about the ECW or its participants.

FYI, in the most recent issue of Lone Warrior (184), there is a set of ECW campaign and tabletop rules. If you'd like to check it out, I'd be happy to scan and send it.

-John