So I dug out a number of rule sets that covered the period . . . and was rather appalled at the length of most of them. Does a rule book really NEED to be several score pages long?
Which got me to thinking about what really needs to be in a set of rules . . . and, off the top of my head, this is what came to mind:
- Troop Types -- and variations within type
- Movement Rates -- including terrain effects
- Shooting -- and what modifies it
- Melee -- and results thereof
- Morale -- how it works & when
- Victory Conditions
I suspect that if I do ever get around to painting and playing with these figures that I might just have to write my own short simple rules.