Monday, April 28, 2008

Something Different --

Well, I played something different this evening. I played in a Savage Worlds game that someone started up here on Vancouver Island.

Sure, it is a "role-playing game", but it has a heavy miniatures aspect to it. Indeed, there is a miniatures version called Savage Worlds Showdown . . . and although we officially played the RPG, the Game Master likes to use tabletop setups.

Our group of six
currently finds ourselves aboard an apparently abandoned (and sabotaged) Zeppelin somewhere over the western Atlantic.

Since we are playing in the "Pulp" genre, is it any surprise that we are currently under attack by Nazi Zombies? (Okay, the GM says that they're really ghouls . . . but that lacks the vocal flair of Nazi Zombies).

All of us (except the GM) were new to these rules, so a fair portion of the evening was allocated to explaining and outfitting our characters.

Still, we started in Rio; had some encounters with local toughs and some unpleasant Germans at the mouth of the Amazon; learned some information in Panama; were intrigued by a strange pyramid in Belize; and dropped onto the Zeppelin at nightfall from a flying boat . . . all of this before we encountered the NZs.

No, not New Zealanders . . . Nazi Zombies.

I enjoyed it and see some interesting possibilities with these rules . . . one of my thoughts has been a VSF campaign . . . or possibly just a Colonial campaign. Anyway, we will meet again in a fortnight and pick up where we left off (with swarming NZs and weakening flashlights).


-- Jeff

7 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Good Morning Jeff,

Strangley, this sounds like a lot of fun. ;-) I'll look forward to your report of the next game in two weeks.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

...it does (sound a lot of fun).. me too...!

Fitz-Badger said...

I was going to say "sounds like fun", but I see that's been done. :-)

marinergrim said...

Fun.

More of it there should be.

A J said...

Oh yes, that's fun! Reminds me of my old rpg group's "Call of Cthulu" sessions.

tim said...

I love Savage Worlds. I use it for all my skirmish gaming. It may not be "perfect" or the most "historically accurate" - but it's generic enough that it can be easily adapted to any setting (thus I don't have to fill my head with endless different rule sets for every genre I like...). I've used it for Fantasy, Sci-fi, WW2 in many different theatres, F&I/SYW skirmishes in the wilds of North America, Victorian Horror, Old West, Dark Ages, LOADS of Pulp Adventures (for which the system is particularly suited), Vietnam, Ultra-Modern, Super Heroes.... the list goes on.

Currently I'm running a weekly Pirates of the Spanish Main game. Just working on some ship models for it right now...

I too will be looking forward to updates on how your campaign goes!

Bluebear Jeff said...

Gentlemen,

It was fun. And, for those who are interested, the GM has posted an account of the action here:

http://www.blockthegate.yuku.com/topic/370

He left out a bunch of details of course, but it should give you an idea of what's going on.


-- Jeff