Saturday, January 01, 2011

Thinking of Colonials --

Lately I've been wanting to play some Colonials.

And I think that I want to play some "The Sword and the Flame" as opposed to the rules I wrote about ten years ago.

Why?

Well because TSATF is a very good set of rules. It has been the leading (as in most played) set of Colonial rules for over 30 years . . . and, as in the photo above, fights often come down to a very exciting finish.

Okay, that's fine . . . but I have a problem.

I last played Colonials in California. I had (and still have) the Imperial forces . . . but my friend Bill S. had (and still has) all of the Native forces. So we're now 1200 miles apart and in different countries.

That means I need to get (and paint) a lot of natives before I can do much . . . *sigh* . . . so I guess that that will be one of my projects this new year.

-- Jeff

6 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Always good to know that there is no end end to the list of possible things to collect. Of course, in the meantime, one could probably have a good game pitting Brits vs Renaiassance Turks or any number of Ancient armies, found in a "Lost Valley" type situation.

In any event, Jeff, I wish the best of health and luck in 2011.

Ross

Prince Lupus said...

Happy New Year Jeff.

Always another project ... that's one reason that makes the hobby so great.

A J said...

Happy New Year, Jeff, and a healthy one too.

I'm in a similar position, with most of my wargaming stuff in the UK, nor do I have the income to afford more than a few new figures. Let's hope the New Year is a more prosperous one for us all.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Always good to have something to look forward to.. :o))

That my friend is why I always paint both sides in any of my projects!

freecloud said...

Zulus - can of spray paint and off you go.....

littlejohn said...

Jeff,

I had to sell off all my colonials recently but the bug is always biting...and it is always a pleasure to build up armies in that period....something about all that dash and pluck to keep you going!